The CTC Remix: Careers, Technology & Coding
DCTS is Delaware County’s incubator for creativity, innovation, and technology for those seeking career and technical training across the lifespan. The changing economy requires an increasingly skilled workforce. It is critical that people are exposed to technology and have access to training to prepare them for workforce entry – even as early as middle school!
This event will include the #DelcoGirlsCode middle school mobile app pitch competition and feature an interactive showcase of select career and technical education programs from Delaware County Technical High Schools’ School of Engineering & Computer Science, and School of Construction Technology.
• 5:30-6:10 – Interactive Showcase; Mobile App Poster Session
• 6:15-6:30 – Keynote Speaker: Tamalee Brassington, PA Department of Education, Division Manager, Adult & Post-Secondary CTE
• 6:30-7:30 – Pitch Competition
• 7:30-8 – Judging & Prizes
8-8:30- Networking; Showcase
In just 12 weeks, four teams of middle school girls have participated in the Technovation Challenge by identifying a community problem and developing a mobile app to address that problem.
During Philly Tech Week, the #DelcoGirlsCode teams will compete for prizes by pitching their app ideas to a panel of local women leaders in business and technology, as well as the general public.
During the interactive showcase, attendees will:
• Design and 3D print tech mementos with Engineering Technologies students
• With the assistance of Advertising Design & Commercial Art students use a laser etching machine to design custom items in minutes
• Learn about remodeling using green technology with students in Construction Technology
• Receive a little spark of GENIUS from Apple Systems & Design students working on iMacs.